Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Album Review: Demi Lovato - Unbroken

Demi Lovato is back with a brand new album, Unbroken, out today. As much as I love Demi and her previous albums, some of the songs on this album confused me, mainly the duets. Collaborating with hip hop artists like Dev on "Who's That Boy?" and Iyaz on "You're My Only Shorty", among others, and singing in a genre that's unfamiliar to her was a mistake in my opinion. I thought Unbroken was supposed to represent Demi's maturity and strength, and the first four songs on this album are anything but that.

Tracks 5-15 on the other hand, are the Demi I know and love, and with that mature and strong sound I was looking for. Some songs are soulful like the moving "Lightweight" and inspiring "Skyscraper", some are pop like the funky "Unbroken" and "Hold Up", and some are pop ballads like the deep "Fix A Heart" and the emotional "For The Love of a Daughter". Then there's even a dash of a more R&B feel with "My Love is Like a Star". All together the perfect blend of Demi's better sounds with good songs and her unique and powerful voice.

These sad but inspirational songs go deep into the heart of Demi, and this album seems like it was her way to divulge to the world things that she's never been able to utter before. These songs have a realness to them unlike any of Demi's songs in the past. Though this album had some songs a little different from what I expected, I really enjoyed the last 10 out of the 15 and there's definitely a few favorites in there for me. With the good outweighing the bad, all in all, it's an acceptable comeback album.

No comments:

Post a Comment