Thursday, November 17, 2011

‎5 days, 5 artists, 5 songs! Day 4: Top 5 - David Archuleta

As a big David Archuleta fan, I know second place is his sweet spot. Whether it's his sweet balladeer side or his fun pop side, whether it's the crooner in him or the enthusiastic belt-it-out-like-there's-no-tomorrow part of him, David is truly one of the most amazing performers I have ever seen. David's got a big voice and the heart to match, singing always about positivity and the good things in life. Here are, in my opinion, the Top 5 best songs by David Archuleta:

"Imagine"
If you asked anyone what song they remember most from David during American Idol, I'm pretty sure 99% would say "Imagine." His slower cover of the famous John Lennon song shows the best of David in every way; David's powerful voice singing this inspirational ballad as David truly believes in every word he's singing, that is the "magic" that is in this performance.

Credit to zzcali

"Crush"
There's just something about "Crush" that brings every David Archuleta fan right back to the summer of 2008 when it was a hit on the radio all over the country. Now, after hearing the song every day on the radio and David singing it at every concert, some may get tired of listening to it after a while. But even so, once that known piano melody starts playing, you can't help but listen to David sing and wonder, "Is it real or just another crush?"

Credit to DavidArchuletaVEVO

"Touch My Hand"
From the very first time I heard it, "Touch My Hand" has always been one of my favorites from David's debut album. The song is quite simple: David sings about being on stage and singing to his fans, and wanting to take in the moment and take their hands. When David performs this song live, he puts even more emotion into it and connects to his fans in a whole new way as everyone he's singing to also relates to the lyrics, "Can't let the music stop, Can't let this feeling end, Cause if I do it'll all be over, I'll never get the chance again"

Credit to DavidArchuletaVEVO

"O Holy Night"
I had to throw in a Christmas song, after all, David's Christmas album Christmas From The Heart is one of my favorites and David is sure to sing this song on his My Kind of Christmas Tour in December (at least I hope). I went back and forth between this song and David's original "Melodies of Christmas", as that song too is my real favorite from the album. But "O Holy Night", though bored me at first, now seems to have a deeper meaning to me, probably because I remember every second about seeing David perform this song live. David sang this as his encore during his Christmas tour in 2009, and as I stood there as the music began, him singing as his voice soared throughout the concert hall as he sang each note beautifully, I was awed. For the rest of the night, that was the song that was stuck in my head, making the night simply unforgettable, which is why I chose this concert video of David performing "O Holy Night" in Boston:

Credit to AnnAve47

"The Other Side of Down"
Though I have many favorites from David's sophomore album, the title track is definitely one of the best. With it's uplifting beat and David's captivating voice, "The Other Side of Down" goes through the ups and downs of life and puts you in a positive mindset, making you want to be 'on the other side of down'. One of my favorites performances of this song was when David sang it on FOX's New years Eve Live in 2010. The strong impact  of David's voice and these lyrics that shines through in this performance is fun and inspiring (not to mention he looks really cute!)

Credit to bumpaworm

Honorable mention: "God Bless America"
I've posted about David's amazing version of "God Bless America" before, which is why I made it an honorable mention. Even more so this year, I've noticed how absolutely stunning David is when he sings patriotic songs. He always kills it when he sings the National Anthem, and I guarantee he will blow you away with this version of "God Bless America":

Credit to 8throwcenter

No comments:

Post a Comment