Friday, January 20, 2012

Interview with Preston Powis

Preston Powis is an up and coming singer-songwriter from Utah. After releasing his debut single "Let Me In" last summer, Preston let me in during this interview where we discuss his music, his new single "Mean What You Say" and what it's like being a part of a talented list of Utahn artists that came before him.  

At what age did you begin singing?
I've been singing my whole life in some form or another. I would always sing along to the radio growing up, and as I got older I joined choir for a musical outlet. It wasn't until I was 18 that anyone really heard me sing. I auditioned for a solo song backed by the choir, Manhattan Transfer's "Operator". That was the first time my family and friends had ever heard me perform, and the pivotal moment I decided I wanted to be a
                                                                        music artist.

How would you describe your musical style?
I would say my music is within the Pop genre. Pop-Rock would be an exact label. "Let Me In" is a Pop-Rock ballad, orchestral infusion. Ever since I was a little boy I was completely taken by film scores and dreamed one day I would be a film composer. I've been fortunate to realize that dream in a way by infusing those sounds into Pop. I'm looking forward to introducing different facets of my style with upcoming projects. Music for me (along with the writing process) is an evolution, and my goal as an artist is to bring people along for the ride. I want my music to be experiential and for it to transport the listener.

David Archuleta co-wrote your debut single “Let Me In,” how do you two know each other?
David and I have the same vocal coach, Dean Kaelin. It was through that relationship I was able to write "Let Me In." Dean was the one who first encouraged me to write, and I'm fortunate to work with him.

Who are some of your musical influences?
My musical influences run the gamut, from Mozart, to Glen Miller, to Nat King Cole, to Katy Perry. I admire so many artists, but I would say I'm most inspired by the risk takers. The artists who put their whole world out on a plate, lyrically and emotionally, and let you as the listener look into it and relate to their stories.

The Osmonds, David Archuleta, Benton Paul, you’re among some very talented Utahn musicians, there must be something in the mountains there. How does it feel to be amid such great artists?
Didn't you know Utahns drink a glass of excellence every morning? (I'm kidding) :) Thank you, it's an honor to be listed alongside those great artists. It's great to see people following their passion, and they in turn inspire others to do the same. They're great, talented people doing what makes them happy, that's really the best example.

You have a new single in the works, could you tell us about it?
I'm very excited about my new single. I've been in the studio working on it and it's nearly finished. This song is one that's very special to me. It was sparked from a conversation I had and it took shape almost instantly. This single will have familiar elements to the last song, but it has a unique identity. It's simple, reduced and focuses on the story and emotion. It's called "Mean What You Say," release details will be announced soon.

How has your life changed in the last year?
The past year has been one of the most challenging and exciting years of my life. It's been amazing to be able to release my music and to engage myself in creative ventures. I think the most noticeable and rewarding change is the connections I've made. I receive emails and messages from people all over the world saying my music means something to them. That's why I do what I do. It's such an exciting thing to get a letter from a girl in France saying how "Let Me In" is her favorite song. Or a message from a kid in ROTC saying he wants to do music and my music video inspired him to join choir. Or something as simple as a girl in Indonesia telling me I look cute in glasses. Those connections are the change I most notice and appreciate.

What are your plans for the future?
My plan for the future is simply to continue to create. I want to make music and have people relate to it and draw a connection to their own experience. I want to show other aspects of my art I feel are all encompassing, whether it be in music, design or visual art. I plan to work hard doing what I love and enjoying every minute of it.

Where can people keep up with you? Website, Facebook, Twitter?
You can find me on Facebook, PRESTONPOWIS.COM is under construction and arriving soon. You can also follow my Twitter account: @PrestonPowis.

Do you have a message to all of your fans?
Thank you! Thank you for listening and connecting to the music and for telling others and myself about it. You guys really are the reason I can do what I do. Thank you for the support and encouragement, the messages and tweets! Keep in touch, tell me what's going on in your lives. If I had any advice it would be: Live doing what you love, and what makes you happiest.

Thanks to Preston for the great interview and I look forward to the new single and upcoming album! And lastly, he does look awfully cute in glasses! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment