Thursday, October 13, 2011

Interview with singer-songwriter Jared Lee



Breaking out into the music world, just releasing his debut EP Falling Through Holes, is singer-songwriter Jared Lee. I've had the chance to interview Jared and talk to him about his new EP, his music style and how he's going from singing in studios to singing in front of live audiences.


1. Which one do you like better, singing or songwriting? 
I like them both for different reasons. There is nothing like performing on stage for people and affecting them with your music. At the same time, creating a new song and melody that no one has ever heard before is quite exhilarating. I plan to do both as long I live.

2. When did you write your first song?
I think I was about 16 at my house on our piano in Boston.

3. What inspires you to write a song?
Combination of things.... sometimes its a personal experience, sometimes its something a friend of mine my go through. Sometimes its a catch phrase or a particular emotion I feel thats brought on by something I see.
Recently I've been really inspired by the dedication of some of my fans out there who have been working hard to helping spread my music.

4. You just released your new EP Falling Through Holes, what’s that been like?
Incredibly exciting. I've been working on this batch of songs for awhile and I'm very proud that this is my first release. I hope people enjoy listening to the music as much as I did making it.

5. How would you describe your music style?
I think my vocal style has a bit more soul/R&B influence but my songs are pop songs. I aim for big melodies that I hope will play over in your head again and again.

6. How would you want people to feel when they listen to your music?
The emotions and passion I try to communicate in the song. I hope many find it therapeutic.

7. What’s the weirdest place a song idea has come to you?
Tough one ha... my mind wanders a lot so probably while I'm in the middle of a conversation or playing a sport... something where I'm supposed to be focused on the task at hand and I'm clearly not.

8. Who are your musical influences?
Growing up I worshipped Brian McKnight, Boyz II Men, Sting... even today I really look up to artists like Pink, Alicia Keys, Gavin DeGraw. Love the power and passion in their expressive voices.

9. How has life changed in the last year?
I'm now shifting gears to finally having a product out so I'm starting to perform a lot more as opposed to just working in studios. I love traveling to new cities, meeting new people and exposing them to my music. Performing is truly a drug.

10. Besides singing and songwriting, what do you like to do in your spare time?
Love to stay active, exercise, go hang by the beach, go out to eat at great restaurants. Nothing too crazy.

11. What are your plans for the future?
I have a lot more music in store for people and I'm really looking forward to hitting the road and performing all around the world.

12. Do you have a message to all of your supporters?
You make all the hard work and sacrifice worth it and I can't wait to grow with you and create more music for you all!


Now that you know a little more about Jared Lee, I think you better go buy his new EP Falling Through Holes, trust me, you won't regret it. Big thanks to Jared for taking the time to do this interview, and I can't wait to hear more from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment